pfSense is a powerful router- and firewall-distibution based on FreeBSD and the packet filter “pf”.
Some of the many features:
- IPv4/v6 stateful firewall
- DNS, Dynamic DNS
- Proxying (HAProxy, Captive Portal)
- Multi-WAN (multiple internet lines, Load Balancing, Failover, etc)
- High Availability
- VPNs (IPSEC, OpenVPN, Wireguard …)
- SSL/TLS-Certs (ACME, LetsEncrypt, …)
In general I prefer to use pfSense on hardware of the official project partner netgate to keep things well tested and supported.
I offer support for:
- migration (from/to separate hardware)
upcoming here: translation of the german content
on the german version of this article I describe things around HAproxy and Multi-WAN. I still have to translate that!